Hiking, Hiking and more Hiking

It's no secret that Matt and I are passionate hikers.  We would hike all the time if we could.  This summer we hiked more than we ever have and it was fantastic.  the mountains near us were named a National Monumnet last year so we have made it our mission to hike as much of them as we can.  Our first hike was to Soledad Canyon with Sydney and Kelly.  Hannah and Emma decided to join me on this one and it was really pretty up there.  Lots of rain this summer meant that the run off waterfall was awesome.


decisions decisions




Next up was a hike to Dripping Springs.  Hannah joined Matt and me for the hike.  Other than seeing a rattlesnake it was really relaxing.  Again, lots of runoff waterfalls.  I was still recovering from my broken toe during all of the hiking trips this summer so that was a little challenging.  I was unable to get a shoe on because of the pain and swelling so I improvised by wearing my sandal (with a sock for protection and as a fashion statement) on the foot with the broken toe.  Some hikes were more difficult than others depending on the amount of hill/rock traversing but I wasn't going to let a little thing like a broken toe hold me back! 

contemplating whether I can shimmy my way up


made it to the top for a soak

best hiking buddy ever

Next was a hike to Filmore Canyon.  We invited the Salas family to join us and had a great time.  Rachel decided to make an appearance for this hike as well.  Rachel is not a lover of all things outdoors so we were happy she chose to join us.  The hike was really pretty.  The Falls at the end of the canyon were pretty dry but still worth the trip.



checking out a praying mantis doing what looked like an intricate yoga pose

We drove to High Rolls for our next hike.  We had heard about Fresnal falls for a long time but had not ventured over to check it out.  Basically, you park on the side of the highway and head straight over the side of a cliff down to the bottom and then you follow the stream to the end of a canyon where there is a deep pool and waterfall that everyone likes to jump from.  The hike down and up the steep slippery slope was a real challenge for Ms. broken toe but I made it. It may have required some not so flattering slide on my butt moments but I made it.  Matt, Emma and Hannah decided to hike up and over the falls to see what was there.  These are Matt's famous words on usually every hike...Don't you just want to see what is right over there?  even thought the trail ends.  So off they went.  I have to say, watching Emma climb the rocks was a little nerve racking.  She wears her back brace while hiking so she is unable to bend and has very little flexibility.  Hannah said she looks like C3 PO.  Anyway, it makes it a little more dangerous to navigate certain spots but she is always up for the challenge.  I always wonder what she will do if she falls but she usually manages to land in a way that prevents injury.  Kind of like a cat.  She did fall while climbing over the falls and slid down the rock face which scuffed up her brace but other than that she was fine.










Our last hike of the summer was to Three Rivers trail near Tularosa.  I cannot believe we have never been here before.  It was so gorgeous.  We were trying to hike up to a series of natural rock slides but ended up turning back before we found them  The girls all had commitments back in Las Cruces so our time was limited.  We followed a stream all the way up and saw pool after pool of spring water.  I am so glad we were able to squeeze this hike in.  We will definitely be going back to find those rock slides though,
Emma likes to make random noises throughout the hike...bear deterrent





identifying random bugs

I know I saw that trail somewhere....








Emma likes to lead and Emma likes to talk...the whole time. She is a great bear deterrent




Comments

Post a Comment