Hiking with Grandpa

For Grandpa's birthday we gave him a day spent with us hiking and having lunch.  We decided to take him to Torrey Pines and it was beautiful.  I can't believe we haven't been before this.  The weather was perfect and we all had fun.  Afterwords we took him to lunch at Green Acres in Lolla and it was really yummy.  A couple of days later Matt and I decided that we wanted to hike Iron Mountain in Poway.  Before I knew it Grandpa was lacing up his boots and asking to join us.  Unfortunately we got a late start so it was really hot (90 degrees +) I assumed that we would stop halfway up and turn around because it would be too much for our 83 year old grandpa.  Boy was a wrong.  At the halfway point Grandpa gave us all a speech that basically said I may never get a chance to do this again so I AM going to finish it.  I knew at that point that there would be no convincing him otherwise.  So we made it to the top and back down and covered the entire 7 miles with Grandpa.  When we got home we took the girls to Petersen's Donuts to celebrate and came home to grandpa having a beer.  I think that was proof enough that he had a good day and was pretty damn proud of himself.  Go grandpa!! and here's to hoping that I am still hiking 7 miles when I'm 83.
















Comments